Cisco is one of the best companies present in the market that makes a variety of networking devices like routers, modem, etc. All the routers from this company have a plethora of different features and services. Despite the fact that Cisco routers have many distinct features, even then you face a variety of problems over time. One common issue that you often get is the “Cisco router not working”.
Basically, you face this issue when there is no internet connectivity from the ISP. There are many reasons for the occurrence of this issue. If there is a blockage in the wireless connectivity of the router, then you can face this problem.
Even, when the frequency of the WiFi network is not correctly set, then also there is a possibility for you to encounter this glitch. Moreover, if the WiFi Driver is not up to date, this error occurs.
Useful Method to Resolve the Cisco Router Problems
In this article, we will provide some efficient and effective solutions which will help you to remove the “Cisco router not working” issue.
Restart the Router
The primary solution to resolve this problem is to restart both the router and the connected device. Here is the process on how to do it:
- First, turn off the power of both the router and the PC. Then, remove the power cable of both these devices from the wall socket.
- Also, unplug ‘Ethernet’ cables from the back of both these devices and then wait for thirty seconds.
- After that, put back the ‘Ethernet’ cables to their actual places.
- Finally, turn on the router and the PC both.
Alter the WiFi Frequency of the Router
Sometimes, you can get this “Cisco router not working” issue, if the frequency of the wireless network is not set correctly. Thus, the best solution is to change the WiFi frequency that the router can accept. Here are the steps –
- First, launch a web browser. Then, on the URL bar, type “192.168.1.1” and press the ‘Enter’ key.
- This will open the router login page. Leave the ‘Username’ field blank, and on the ‘Password’ field, type ‘admin’. Next, tap the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, the router configuration page will open up. Within that page, go to the left panel and then choose the ‘Wireless’ option. This action will open the ‘Wireless Settings’ page.
- Now, under this section, locate ‘Channel’. Then, from the drop-down menu, select either the ‘2.4GHz’ or ‘5GHz’ according to the user traffic.
- Next, tap on the ‘Save’ button and then exit from the router settings page.
- Lastly, see if the router is working properly or not.
Remove any Obstruction that Blocks the WiFi Signal
You can face the “Cisco router WiFi not working” problem if some kind of obstruction like wall or floor blocks the signal. In that case, here’s what you should do –
- First, keep the router at the center of your house so that you can get a good wireless signal.
- Also, make sure that there are no blockages which cover the router.
- Do not keep the router close to the wall or ceiling. Keep a distance of two feet and see if the connection improves or not.
- If there are any devices like television, cordless phone, microwave that are near the router, then remove them.
Activate the WLAN AutoConfig Service
When the WLAN AutoConfig service is obsolete, then you face this problem. The service WLAN AutoConfig is used to configure the connectivity settings and wireless security. To activate this service, follow these steps:
- First, hit the combination of ‘Windows + R’ keys to open the’Run’ dialog box.
- Within that dialog box, type “services.msc” and tap on the ‘OK’ button.
- At this moment, you will get a new ‘Services’ window in it. There will be services for all the programs installed within the computer in a list.
- Next, from that list, locate and select the ‘WLAN AutoConfig’ service. After that, right-click on the service and then from the popup menu, choose the option ‘Properties’.
- This will open a new window with the name ‘WLAN AutoConfig Properties (Local Computer). Inside that window, select the ‘General’ tab. Under that tab, go to the section ‘Startup type:’. From the drop-down menu, select the ‘Automatic’ option.
- Next, at the bottom of this window, tap on ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ to confirm any changes to the computer.
WiFi Service Activation Process
When the Windows Operating System deactivates the WiFi service, then for that cause, you can get the “Cisco router not working”. Here are the steps to activate WiFi Service:
- First, find and then choose the ‘Network’ icon from the lower right side of the taskbar. Then, right-click on it and then choose ‘Open Network and Sharing Center’ from the popup menu that comes up.
- When the ‘Network and Sharing Center’ window shows up, go to the left panel.
- After that, from the left pane, choose the ‘change adapter settings’ link. This will launch ‘Network Connections’.
- On that page, locate the wireless network to which you are currently connected. Then, right-click on the chosen network and select the ‘Enable’ option. If the network is active already, then ‘Disable’ it. Then, ‘Enable’ it again.
- After the WiFi Service is active, reboot the computer and see if the Cisco router works or not.
Update the Wireless Network Driver
If the Wireless Network Driver is not up to date, then there is a high probability for you to encounter this problem. Now, the feasible solution to rectify this issue is to update the WiFi Driver. In order to do it, follow the simple steps provided beneath.
- First, right-click on the ‘Windows logo’ to open the ‘Option Menu’. After that, select the ‘Device Manager’ option from the menu.
- Now, inside this window, you will get all the devices and their respective drivers within a list.
- From that list, locate and choose “Network Adapters”. After that, tap on the ‘arrow’ icon on the front of the device category to reveal an expanded sub-list. This list contains the driver ‘Network Adapters’.
- From the expanded sub-list, choose the initial driver and then right-click on it. Then, from the popup menu, choose the ‘Update driver’ option.
- At this moment, a new window will appear with two links. Choose ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’.
- Now, if there is any kind of updates present, then that will be downloaded and installed automatically. This procedure can take some time to complete. So, wait patiently.
- Then, simply reboot the machine.
- Finally, after the computer boots up, examine if you are still facing this issue or not.
With this article, it will be pretty easy to eradicate the “Cisco router not working” error. But, even after following every method, if you are unable to mitigate this issue, then no need to worry. Just contact a professional to fix the issue.